Tuesday, March 1, 2011

When I Was Your Age


I think most adults can attest to the fact that no matter what number you have to fill in after "age" on your paperwork, you don't feel any older than when you were "young." That is to say that you still feel like a kid in many ways. We have matured and have mature responsibilities, but basically we are the same people.



We know that we need to work on our immature behaviors like making sure we play well with others in the work place, use Face.book appropriately, and perhaps go to bed a little (a lot) earlier than prior years.

It seems the higher up in age I go I notice that I am having more fun in life. I remember "elders" telling me that their thirties or forties were great decades for them. When I was 23 that seemed impossible. But I see now that they were right.



I felt my age when I taught Italian to 12-15 year olds at 24 years old. One of my lesson plans was to focus on a famous Italian-American. I chose Al Pacino one month. They read a bio on him and learned about his celebrity, and then I showed a clip from one of my favorite movies, Scent of a.Woman. It was the culminating scene where Al Pacino's character, Lt. Colonel Frank Slade stands in for Charlie, Chris O'Donnell at the hearing.

"There was a time I could see. And I have seen. Boys like these, younger than these, their arms torn out, their legs ripped off. But there isn't nothin' like the sight of an amputated spirit. There is no prosthetic for that."

Powerful stuff. "Woo-ha."


After I spent 2 hours editing out the swear words I was thrilled to show them this part of the movie.

The reaction: uh, who is Al Pacino?

Yea, I felt old. Even though when I tried to cut in the lunch line because I was a teacher, I got dirty looks from everyone. I started sporting my teacher badge to avoid the scathing stares from various teen-agers hungry for their pizza bagels and chocolate milk.

(side note: you'll never guess how many yearbooks I was asked to sign at the end of the year because people thought I was a big shot senior)

My point is that there are times when I feel my age because I don't know what the coolest app is or my jeans are the wrong color. But I don't care.

I had a baby-sitter comes over to watch Min for the first time ever. We have always had grandparents or aunts and uncles or friends watch him when we were busy. When M arrived I did not know what to do. It was one of those moments when time stood still and I could not believe I was the mom writing down the contact numbers and feeling bad because my house wasn't clean enough and there weren't good snacks in the cupboard.

However, I left Min in good hands and once again was reminded that I am a mom now, and I am happy.

AJ and I hang out with our friends, make stupid jokes, and laugh at ourselves. Not a whole lot has changed. And I see all of us as still with it. Memories come back to me of my parents hanging out with all of their friends on a Saturday night playing cards and having a good time. The kids would run around playing hide and seek and tag. We had a huge garage with a pot belly stove and piano player. My dad would sit there all night playing tunes with everyone singing along.

One of my faves was "Don't it make your brown eyes blue" by Crystal Gayle.

Those are great memories for everyone involved.

Feeling comfortable with who you are is a refreshing feeling. Having confidance in accomplishment, goals, and running your own household are definite plusses of getting up in years.

Admittedly there are still times at 33 when I do a mental double take and realize that I am sitting in my home, paying bills, rearing a child, making career decisions. And even though I write this post from the comfort of my dad's pre-owned recliner, I am all growed up.

Well, sort of.

1 comment:

  1. What a great post! I agree...feeling comfortable with one's self is such an integral part of adulthood. My 30's have been great overall. I wonder what the 40's will bring. :)

    ReplyDelete